Friday, August 7, 2020

3. Media (Digital Fluency Initiative)

Today we learnt about the Create stage of Manaiakalani and we learnt to create content with Sight, Sound and Motion (SISOMO).

Create

Give them something to DO!!! People learn through doing. Think about Kindergarten - the walls in my house and my parent's house are filled with pictures drawn by my daughter. When I was 5 I wrote a story (at school) about making hot cross buns and it was published in the Gisborne Herald! My mum has just published a dozen poems that were written by my grandmother in primary school and were published in the Christchurch Press!!!
We don't do that now - but Manaiakalani is suggesting we embrace the Internet as a place to publish student's work and that this is key to motivating them to engage with the content we want them to engage with.

Ideas that came to me during this session:
  • Measurement topic - get students to draw rectangles for other students to calculate the perimeter and area
  • Get students to lie on the ground to make shapes and take photos of them
  • Last year another Maths teacher at our school got students to trace around their feet, cut them out, measure them, then stick them on the classroom wall to make a dot plot of the distribution of foot lengths in the class - a great visual creation!
SISOMO moments that blew me away (not necessarily in chronological order):
  • SIGHT - The Matrix - wow! I wanted to be Trinity! Surely we can all run around the walls of a room if we just launch ourselves with enough speed.
  • SOUND - Surround Sound in the home lounge with Sub Woofer (circa 1996) We watched Twister and the booming went straight through our chests as a physical feeling.
  • SURROUND SIGHT - Dragonheart in the Cinema. When the Dragon flew over us and the sound traveled from the back of the cinema to the front and before the shadow appeared on the screen (while the dragon was over our heads) they flicked on and off the houselights so it felt like the shadow was going over us!
So YES - I get the emotional effect Manaiakalani and Saatchi & Saatchi are talking about.

You Tube

Teachers can post to You Tube, or we can just create a channel so that we can collate others' videos through Playlists.

Students, however, should only post to Google Drive and their Blog, which is only set up by the approved Admin person at school and has all the protection of Manaiakalani, Hapara etc

I have today created a channel and have started making some Maths playlists.

Draw

Tip - double click to crop an image. 
Can use draw to make buttons for web site.
To paste as a picture - Download as png
To insert into Blog - Publish to web - Embed - Small - Paste url into HTML part of blog, as I have done below. (Uses  ColourPick extension).

Hot tips

Te Reo

Mahi - work
Kaimahi - worker
Kaiako - teacher
Kairiwhi - reliever (spelling?)

Hapara

Use Items to change the amount of detail per student:
  • 1 for the latest work
  • 25 for learning conversations with individuals
Sort - drab students' boxes to the top of the page .
Hover over a doc for a quick look.

I had a problem with students teaching in a recent maths test. They were allowed to use a simple calculator on their chromebook, but I caught 3 googling extra help. If I had had Hapara up and running - could I have prevented that?

Have just sent my class lists to our IT person to get my classes created in Hapara.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the entertaining reflections and insights Julia.
    My 'laugh out loud' moment...SIGHT - The Matrix - wow! I wanted to be Trinity! Surely we can all run around the walls of a room if we just launch ourselves with enough speed....
    I have visions of family members attempting this in our driveway , crazy side kick leaps against the fence and the garage door. Also when 'Crouching Tiger " came out!

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about