Friday, August 21, 2020

5. Sites (Digital Fluency Intensive)

 This week we learnt about the Visible part of Manaiakalani and Google Sites.

Tips

  • You can add protections to globally shared docs so that they cannot download or forward the doc on
  • For docs with multiple editors you can restore previous versions via the editing history, and you can name different versions (to go back to them)
  • There is a way to split your screen by dragging off a tab
  • Switching off Grid view in Meet allows you a bigger view of the presentation
  • Hapara - Sharing folders should be empty. All students docs should be filed in Hapara created folders.

Visible

The resources we create, and the planning we do, should be visible not only to our students, but also to their whanau and our colleagues. In the last two weeks I have made my planing and resources much more visible (to the world) but my students work and their voice is still invisible. (I presume this is where students having their own blogs will fit in).

At school I was the one who could read the teachers' minds - and the exam writers!!! It is not fair and does not give equality of access. Students need a One Stop Shop without any password barriers.

I wondered how I would add a folder into each of my student's drive - and this question was answered later - by using Hapara.

Multi-modal

I agree that neither the process of learning nor the prospect of learning appeals to secondary students today. A site needs to attract students into it (like a shop window), it needs to be inclusive, and they need to see themselves in there.

The visible teaching I have just made (my first attempt) looks like the first Point England School site (on slide 17). I have been wanting to make it more visually appealing and I think Sites is going to be where I do this.

I explored a wonderful secondary school's Maths site: Algebra. I found resources I want to use and ideas for my next site. I also filled in the feedback form and gave Aimee my email address.


T-shaped literacy

Wide and deep. I had not heard of this before. I like Dave's two quotes:
  1. Reading is faster than listening
  2. Reading doesn't create noise

My sites

I have created two sites today:
  1. Year 9 Maths: Maths
  2. Lest We Forget: ANZAC

Blogs

I have added multiple new labels to my Blog, and will go back to earlier versions to add DFI to them.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia Looking at your blog I can see what a well designed one might offer learners. You can see the dfi label appearing larger in the cloud and the recent comments, your profile and the post formats make it easy to read. To glimpse the secondary year 9-13 blogging you can look here Another idea for secondary school re visibility could be a slide deck where learners have a responsibility for each slide. The labels are an auto index especially powerful for secondary learners. Last comment deleted as pasted wrong one from the doc wher I draft them.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about